Suikaen Takayama Chasen: Emi
Bamboo Matcha Whisk made by Suikaen Takayama Chasen.
Whisks for making the perfect matcha tea from Suikaen.
The "Emi" whisk comes with a small sakura charm and pale pink knitted thread.
It takes two to three years to prepare the raw bamboo before making the whisks:
- 3 year old Hachiku(淡竹: Henon bamboo) is cut during the winter season. The cut bamboo is boiled to remove any oils.
- The bamboo is then left to dry with the cold winter wind for 1 to 2 months(Jan~Feb). After the bamboo is dried it is let to sit in storage for 2 to 3 years allowing it to season and completely dry out. - Leaving the bamboo to dry this long increases its flexibility and durability.
- Then after 2 to 3 years, the bamboo is cut to start the Chasen making processes as below.
Chasen Making Process:
- 片木(Hegi): peel one-third of the bamboo skin and divide it into 16 equal parts. Then separate the skin and endodermis in each of the parts, cut out the endodermis.
- 小割(Kowari): divide 1 mm divided into 0.4mm and 0.6mm.
- 味削り(Ajikezuri): Make the all bristles thinner, just like hair.
- 面取り(Mentori): Shave the edge each of the bristles to round off the corners.
- 下編み(Shitaami): Separate inner(0.4mm) and outer(0.6mm) bristles alternately with a thread.
- 上編み(Uwaami): To keep the shape of the Chasen, knit the inner and outer bristles twice.
- 仕上げ(Shiage): Arrange each of the bristles to make beautiful shape.
The entire process of growning, seasoning and making the chasen can take up to 6 years.
Our current aim is to ship items within 48 hours of receiving your order. Please note there are still delays with postal services due to the continuing pandemic.
Free Delivery Over £45 - Free postage is 2nd Class Signed For Royal Mail. Orders over £100 will be sent 1st Class or by courier depending on parcel size. If you require faster postage please add at the checkout.
Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For: £4
Royal Mail 2nd Class: £2.50
Parcel Force express 48: £8